Wynland of West was a Norse Christian settlement on the Red River of the North from 1121 to 1362.
"Wynland" is pronounced as "Vinland." "Wyn," meant "fine, smooth, cleared [of trees]." The land along the Red River of the North is fine, relatively smooth and cleared of trees. Fargo ND and Moorhead MN, which are both Norse names, were major villages in Wynland of West. Norse Christians, who called themselves "Lenape" came to Wynland of West by 1,000 AD.
WHETSTONES Archaeologists, who do research on ancient sites, know that if they find a whetstone, they can be positive that Norse were in ...
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
MOORING STONE AND HARBOR #3
Mooing stone #3 lay at the south shore of this lagoon. This harbor may hold over 150 longboats. The boats arrived from the channel in the lower left. They left on the other side of Stinking Lake.
The highway makes it difficult to determine if the southern shore was linear when Holand found the mooring stone or if modern earth moving equipment shoved the shore line into place.
Mooring Stone and Harbor #3
The toughest part of the boat pulling was up the short, but steep. grade between mooring stone #2 and mooring stone #3. Current speculation is that the boat pull was a winter time event when there was snow on the Ground. That method may explain why this harbor was so much larger than the rest.
Duck Lake is the high point of the Minnesota waterway. From this lake heavy boats with large crews could row down stream, but they were still in the Red River watershed. The cross over to the Mississippi water shed happened further down stream at Fergus Falls. ["Fergus" meant "worthy to be called" a falls]
Duck Lake may have been a hub of activity as boats were pulled up, then prepared for departure. Additional men and women may have been stationed at Duke Lake to assist with the pull from mooring stone #2 and to provision the boats before departure to the next main stop, Sauk Center, in the Mississippi watershed. [Sauk is a variation of Old Norse "Saga."] Holand found evidence of an altar at Sauk Center. A large habor lies adjacent to the altar.